The following are escape and evasion websites that I have come across. I would welcome suggestions for additions to the list. Also, take a look at the FAQ in this website, “How Do I Learn About an Allied Airman Who Was Shot Down?”, for possible helpful hints.
Aid to Jews
- Database of the Righteous Among the Nations from the Netherlands and Ukraine: http://db.yadvashem.org/righteous/search.html?language=en
Associations of Escapees and Helpers
- Air Forces Escape and Evasion Society [AFEES]: http://airforceescape.org/, To see a page on this website with information about AFEES, click here. See in particular their DVD EVADE! on YouTube. Go to http://airforceescape.org/test-page-for-evade-dvd/ .
- Association of Rescuers of Allied Aviators (Association des sauveteurs d’Aviateurs Alliés): http://asaapicardie3945.fr/index.php
- Royal Air Forces Escaping Society 1945-1995:http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafescape/. For information on Elizabeth Harrison, RAFES Secretary, see: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/07/22/elizabeth-harrison-helped-the-french-resistance—obituary/
- Royal Air Forces Escaping Society (1994) – by Sarah Long:http://www.christopherlong.co.uk/pub/rafes.html
- Royal Air Forces Escaping Society (Canadian Branch): http://www.escapeandevasionww2.com/escape_and_evasion_101.htm. See also http://www.escapeandevasionww2.com/escape_and_evasion_102.htm for a list of members.
- WW2 Escape Lines Memorial Society [ELMS] – by Roger Stanton: http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk. See also https://www.flickr.com/photos/escapelines/sets/ and their Forum at http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/Forum/.
Awards to Helpers
- For the system of Award Grades for helpers of Allied airmen in English: http://www.evasioncomete.org/TxtAwards2.html (in French: http://www.evasioncomete.org/TxtAwards.html). See also on this website, the History of the Holland Office, 6801 MIS-X Detachment, on pp. 7-11 of the 28 June 1946 memo.
Basque Pyrenees Escape Lines
- Basque Pyrenees Freedom Trails Association (BPFTA): https://www.bpftaww2.com/en/home/
Belgian Escape Lines
- Comet Line: See below
- Groupe Hoornaert-Dirix: https://wwii-netherlands-escape-lines.com/other-escape-lines/group-hoornaert-dirix-2/
Chemin de la Liberte
- Chemin de la Liberté — Midi-Pyrénées, France: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1278468
- BBC News, “Pyrenees hikers remember WWII escapees,” by Edward Stourton, Nov. 12, 2011, at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15690262
- La Chemin de la Liberté: WWII escape route to Spain:http://www.ariege.com/histoire/chemin.html . See also http://chemindelaliberte.fr/page-accueil/the-freedom-trail?showall=1&limitstart= .
- Association Forced Landing: http://forcedlanding.pagesperso-orange.fr/comete.htm
- Comet: http://www.praats.be/comete.htm (good collection of photos)
- Comete-Bidassoa: http://www.comete-bidassoa.com/uk_mn.htm
- Comete Kinship (see below Ligne Comete Line Remembrance)
- Comet Line Crossing of the Pyrenees: https://www.pyreneanexperience.com/comet-line-crossing-of-the-pyrenees/.
- Escape Line Research and Remembrance: http://home.clara.net/clinchy/index.htm. Click on the Comete Line heading (and other related Comete headings) in the column on the left of the page
- Last Best Hope, A True Story of Escape, Evasion, and Remembrance:http://www.pbs.org/lastbesthope/
- Le Réseau Comète: https://www.evasioncomete.be/. This website is maintained by Philippe Connart, Michel Dricot, Edouard Reniére, and Victor Schutters. A master list of airmen helped by the Comet Line is at https://www.evasioncomete.be/aFichesChoix.html. To view the website’s description of that person’s experiences, click on his name. For a more detailed list of airmen, including dates and serial numbers, click on https://www.evasioncomete.be/aListe.html. Another useful feature of this website is their chronological list of the airmen’s crossing of the Pyrenees at https://www.evasioncomete.be/aFichesChrono.html. It can be quite useful to know the names and stories of other airmen who shared experiences with the one you are researching.
- Les Amis de Reseau Comète (Comète au Pays Basque): http://cometepaysbasque.blogspot.fr/. Multilingual website. Good interactive maps.
- Ligne Comete Line Remembrance (formerly Comete Ligne Kinship): http://www.cometeline.org/
- “Secrets of the Second World War Comet Line Revealed,” Daily Telegraph, Mar. 14, 2013, news story about the Comet Line and republication of Airey Neave’s book, Little Cyclone: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9930526/The-secrets-of-the-Second-World-War-Comet-Line-are-revealed.html.
- Association Forced Landing: http://forcedlanding.pagesperso-orange.fr/comete.htm
Comprehensive Websites on Escape and Evasion
- Conscript Heroes – by Keith Janes: http://www.conscript-heroes.com/.
- Escape Line Research and Remembrance: http://home.clara.net/clinchy/index.htm
- Free Belgians: http://www.freebelgians.be/articles/articles-5-55+de-colditz-patriotic-school-london.php
- Last Best Hope, A True Story of Escape, Evasion, and Remembrance:http://www.pbs.org/lastbesthope/. Be sure to click on the heading, “Belgian Resistance: Historic Overview,” which contains a history of the Resistance, “The Brussels Connection” by Jacques de Vos, reproduced from the book In the Footsteps of a Flying Boot.
- The Escape Line (by Keith Morley): http://www.theescapeline.blogspot.com/
- Prat/Praet/Praetz family website with information on a great many different Belgian Resistance organizations, emphasizing those persons executed for their activities: http://www.praats.be/verzetoverzicht.htm
- World War II Escape and Evasion Information Exchange – by Keith Janes: http://www.conscript-heroes.com/escapelines/index.htm
- The Last Passage: http://www.offworld.be/node/92#/sites/default/files/THE_LAST_PASSAGE_05.jpg
- “Way to Freedom (Weg naar de Vrijheid – Meer dan 1080)” at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96V6SiqMlc. A 44-minute documentary, it was produced in 1967 by Dick Verkijk, it includes interviews with members of the Dutch-Paris Line. Although it is in Dutch, there are English subtitles.
Dutch-Paris Line (see also Netherlands below)
- For a list of airmen helped by Dutch-Paris, go to https://wwii-netherlands-escape-lines.com/other-escape-lines/dutch-paris-line/ on this website.
- How to Flee the Gestapo, Searching for the Dutch-Paris Escape line – by Megan Koreman: http://dutchparisblog.com/. See also a 44-minute documentary on Dutch-Paris, “Way to Freedom (Weg naar de Vrijheid – Meer dan 1080)” at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96V6SiqMlc. Produced in 1967 by Dick Verkijk, it includes interviews with members of the line. Although it is in Dutch, there are English subtitles.)
- Weidner Foundation: http://weidnerfoundation.org/en/index.php/archives/
The Engelandvaarders were the Dutch patriots who wanted to get to England to continue the fight against the Nazis. Many lost their lives in the process. Here are some links on the subject:
- Engelandvaarder 2011: http://northsea.moonfruit.com/#. A commemoration of an incredible crossing of the North Sea by kayak.
- Genootschap Engelandvaarders (Engelandvaarders Society): http://www.engelandvaarders1940-1945.nl/cms/welkom/wie-of-wat/
- Long Journey Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyoMa70i7tg. About Willem Hamminga’s round the world trip to reach England and fly against the Germans.
- Onderzoeksgids Oorlogsgetroffenen WO2: http://www.oorlogsgetroffenen.nl/archiefvormer/Stichting_Genootschap_Engelandvaarders
- RAF Rescue of Engelandvaarders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSOHQLQh-U&feature=related
- Escape and Evasion Material for Allied Airmen: http://evasioncomete.org/TxtAids2.html
- Escape Compasses (Compassipedia, the Online Compass Museum): http://www.compassmuseum.com/esc/esc.htm
- Escape Maps and Escape Aids from World War II: http://www.delicious.com/stacks/view/GZAE1G
- Fort Hunt, MIS-X, care packages for American POWs:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93640350
- Hall, Debbie, British Library Map Library, “Wall Tiles and Free Parking: Escape and Evasion Maps of World War II,”: http://www.mapforum.com/04/escape.htm
- Royal Air Force Museum Navigator Online Collection: http://navigator.rafmuseum.org/ (Photos and descriptions of some 48 different RAF WWII escape aids.)
Escape Research Sources
- 100th Bomb Group (Heavy) – E&E Introduction – by Michael LeBlanc: https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=207
- Escape and Evasion Reports Online at National Archives II:http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/
- Belgium World War II Information – Escape Line Research and Remembrance – by John Clinch: http://home.clara.net/clinchy/. Go to the column on the left of the page and click on the link, “Researching WW2 Escape and Evasion.”
- FindMyAncestors: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/military/wwii/wwii-escapers. This is a commercial genealogical website that offers escape and evasion reports for a fee.
- French National Railways (SNCF) files on contacts with Air Force crews in the area east of Paris: http://www.archives-historiques.sncf.fr/pdf/0414LM0006-002.pdf. (It is slow to load.)
- Rossiter, Margaret L., “Women in the Resistance” Papers 1974-1998, Special Collections Library, University of Michigan:http://quod.lib.umich.edu/s/sclead/
- Airman in the Tower, The (about Australian pilot Kevin Winston McSweeney): https://outbackandbeyond.wordpress.com/2015/06/28/the-airman-in-the-tower-my-experience/
- Baker Crew, The – by Co de Swart: http://www.aircrewremembered.com/gallery/index.php?/category/6
- Bud Owens – documentary of his story, fundraising in progress: http://www.gofundme.com/BudOwens
- Garrity, Flight Officer Richard: http://www.escapeandevasionww2.com/escape_and_evasion_002.htm
- Garrity, Richard, RCAF Escape and Evasion 1944: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niW9NfgMrKU
- Geyer Crew, The – by Co de Swart: http://www.aircrewremembered.com/gallery/index.php?/category/5
- Independence Day 4 July 1943: http://www.ansa39-45.fr/independencedayenglish.htm.
- Justice, John K. “Jack,” The Raid on Munster, Germany, Oct. 10, 1943: My Escape from German Occupied Europe: https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=275:munster-raid-by-john-justice&catid=25&Itemid=581.
- Shot in Cold Bloot-Part 1 (by Fred Carter): http://na514.wordpress.com/2012/11/07/this-story-sho/
- Squadron Leader John Mott (Daily Telegraph obituary): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1395847/Squadron-Leader-John-Mott.html
- Stalag Luft III, The Great Escape: http://www.b24.net/pow/greatescape.htm
- Tomb of Napoleon (le tombeau d napoléon) used as hiding place for Allied airmen: http://occupation-39-45.blogspot.com/2015/05/invalides-aviateurs.html
- William Ash: The Cooler King: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34058540; William Ash Obituary: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10799031/William-Ash-obituary.html; Pauline LeCam, Ash helper: http://www.resistance62.net/Le%20Cam%20Pauline.pdf
- American Memorial Association of Saint-Nazaire (Association du Mémorial Américain de Saint-Nazaire), 8th USAAF Aircraft Downed in France, 1942-1945: http://www.saintnazaire-associations.org/annuaire/associations/association-du-memorial-americain-de-saint-nazaire/
- Association l’Alliance (Alliance Network): http://www.reseaualliance.org/
- Association of Rescuers of Allied Airmen (Association des Sauveteurs d’Aviateurs Alliés, or ASAA): http://asaapicardie3945.fr/index.php
- Basque Freedom Trails Association: See both http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/?tribe_events=basque-freedom-trail-2016 and http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Registration-form-BFTA-19-20-August-2016-ENGLISH.pdf . This association is also listed under Spain.
- December 31, 1943 8th AF mission over southwest France: http://airforceescape.org/december-31-1943-bombing-mission-southwest-france/
- French Helpers: http://frenchhelpers.fr/
- French Helper Database: https://wwii-netherlands-escape-lines.com/helpers-of-allied-airmen/french-helper-list/french-helper-database/
- French Helpers by Geographical Location: http://www.aide-aviateurs-allies-ww2.fr/
- L’Aviation En Bretagne, 1939-1945: https://www.absa3945.com/. See in particular, “The aviation in Brittany and Pays de Loire in 1939-1945”: http://absa3945.e-monsite.com/.
- Occupation 39-45 Blogspot: http://occupation-39-45.blogspot.com/
- Resistance Francaise Blogspot: http://resistancefrancaise.blogspot.fr/2017/01/446th-bg-b-24-crash-near-marcillac-on.html
- Forest of Hidden Men (Royal Air Forces Escaping Society, 1945-1995): http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafescape/freteval/
- Freteval Forest Evaders: http://www.hilaroad.com/RCAF/freteval/freteval.html
- Freteval Forest (ELMS website): http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/escapers-evaders/freteval-forest/
- Freteval Forest Evaders Camp (419 Squadron RCAF): http://www.419squadronbewarethemoose.com/Freteval.html
Italian Escape Routes
- Anne Copley in the Italian American Journal: https://camp59survivors.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/anne-copley-in-the-italian-american-journal/
- A PoW Escape Goes Wrong in Italy: http://ww2today.com/30th-september-1943-a-pow-escape-goes-wrong-in-italy
- Britain at War: Initiating a POW break-out in Italy: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/Britain_at_War_Readers__Memorie/3453335/Britain-at-War-Initiating-a-POW-break-out-in-Italy.html
- Camp 59 Survivors: https://camp59survivors.wordpress.com/2013/11/
- Camp 59 Survivors: https://camp59survivors.wordpress.com/
- Malcolm Tudor Books on WWII Italy: http://www.emiliapublishing.com/. Mr. Tudor’s books include: Prisoners and Partisans, Escape and Evasion in World War II Italy; Escape from Italy, 1943-1945, Allied Escapers and Helpers in Fascist Italy; British Prisoners of War in Italy, Paths to Freedom; SOE in Italy, 1940-1945; and Beyond the Wire, A True Story of Allied POWs in Italy, 1943-1945.
- Monte San Martino Trust. To learn about the Trust, go to https://msmtrust.org.uk/about-the-trust/. For escape stories, go to http://www.msmtrust.org.uk/escape-stories/. To see their 2016 annual report, go to http://www.msmtrust.org.uk/annual-reports/2016-annual-report/. For their annual newsletters, go to http://msmtrust.org.uk/activity/annual-newsletters/. For their September 2017 annual report, click on this pdf file: http://www.msmtrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Annual-Report-2017.pdf
- POW Camps in Italy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_prisoner-of-war_camps_in_Italy
- PoW Escape Routes in Italy 1943/44 by Roger Stanton: http://www.yewtreehouse.org/LUSIGNANA/PDF_files/WWII/Escape%20Routes%20Italy%201943.pdf
- The Freedom Trails (by author Brian Lett): http://www.brianlettauthor.com/trails.php. Focuses on the Rossano valley in northern Tuscany.
- Victoria University of Wellington: Prisoners of War, II: The War in Italy and Escapes to Allied Lines: http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2Pris-_N98583.html
Lectures on Escape and Evasion
- AFEES Escape and Evasion Lecture, May 2019 Reunion, by Lynn David
- “For you Tommy the war is over”. Not necessarily so. Escape and Evasion in Europe, by Peter H. Liddle. First presented at Harewood House, 9th October 2007: http://www.war-experience.org/history/keyaspects/escapeevasion/default.asp
MI9/IS9 and MIS-X
- A Husband’s Most Secret War in MI9 IS9: http://www.mi9-is9.com/index.html
- Breaking the Silence of a Secret POW Camp: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=93635950
- Camp 59 Survivors: http://camp59survivors.wordpress.com/ (contains IS9 History)
- IS9 Historical Report: http://www.arcre.com/archive/mi9/is9#VI
- MI9 (Wikipedia article): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MI9
- MIS-X Fort Hunt (concerns E&E reports compiled by MIS-X–captured personnel and materials): http://www.conscript-heroes.com/escapelines/MIS-X-Fort-Hunt.htm
- MIS-X Manual on Evasion, Escape, and Survival: https://wwii-netherlands-escape-lines.com/govt-reports/m-i-s-x-manual-on-evasion-escape-and-survival/
- MIS-X: Secret Escape Aids for American POWs: https://wwii-netherlands-escape-lines.com/escape-and-evasion-topics/escape-aids/mis-x-secret-aid-to-pows-at-ft-hunt/
- MIS-X: The U.S. Escape and Evasion Experts, National Museum of the U.S. Air Force: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=14587
- P.O. Box 1142: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._O._Box_1142
Netherlands (see also Dutch-Paris above)
- Wings to Victory: https://www.wingstovictory.nl/Wings_to_Victory. Remembers Allied airmen in Zeeland (southwestern Netherlands). See also their database, containing information on 600 Allied crashes in that area at https://db.wingstovictory.nl/.
- Operation Marathon, Sherwood:http://www.rafinfo.org.uk/rafescape/freteval/freteval_fp.htm
Pat O’Leary (PAT) Line
- Long, Christopher – personal website (contains information about the Pat Line) :http://www.christopherlong.co.uk/
- Pat O’Leary Line (part of the Conscript Heroes website): http://www.conscript-heroes.com/Pat-Line.html
- He Who Dares Wins, Across the Pyrenees to Freedom, Diary of Chanan (Hans) Flörsheim, 1923-1944. English translation:http://www.hassia-judaica.de/Lebenswege/English/Floersheim_Hans_Chanan_English/ChananFloersheim_He_Who_Dares_Wins.pdf German edition: http://www.hassia-judaica.de/Lebenswege/Deutsch/Floersheim_Hans_Chanan/Chanan_Floersheim_ebook.pdf
- The Airman’s Story: Douglas Jennings: http://noviomagus.tripod.com/doug_jennings.htm
- Possum Line: http://www.possumline.net/. Once you open the website, click on the “Escapers & Evaders” heading to get a page where you can search by the airman’s name, SPG no., or E&E no. When you select an airman’s name from the drop-down menu, the screen immediately displays all the information on that airman. See, for example, that of Val Johnson at http://www.possumline.net/EscapersAndEvaders/OtherEandE/JohnsonReport.htm. (His son, Ralph Johnson, at tchilon at hotmail.com has news stories about Val as well as his father’s Caterpillar Club pin.)
- Possum Line (French language): http://www.crdp-reims.fr/memoire/enseigner/memoire_reseaux/menu_reseaux.htm
Prisoners of War
- The Buchenwald Airmen: https://www.buchenwaldairmen.info/
- Shelburn Line (from Conscript Heroes): http://www.conscript-heroes.com/Art36-ShelburnEvaders.html. See also http://www.conscript-heroes.com/Art44-Brittany-Shelburne.html. Also see: http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/escapelines/shelburn/.
- Raid at Ozbalt (rescue by Slovenian Partisans): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_at_St_Lorenzen
- “The Crow’s Flight” – A New Trail in Slovenia: http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/?page_id=1075
Spain (also listed under France)
- Basque Freedom Trails Association: See both http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/?tribe_events=basque-freedom-trail-2016 and http://www.ww2escapelines.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Registration-form-BFTA-19-20-August-2016-ENGLISH.pdf .
- Tea room in Madrid part of escape line, story of Dr. Eduardo Martinez Alonso of the British Embassy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2069568/Drinks-scones-daring-escape-How-Allied-troops-used-tea-house-surrounded-Gestapo-rescue-Jews-Nazis.html . See also http://patriciaysuslibros.blogspot.com/ and http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2016/0624/797910-tearoom-taylor-soldier-spy/ and http://www.raoulwallenberg.net/saviors/others/secret-spanish-evasion-routes/ .
- Evaded to Sweden (Flygtel til Sverige): http://www.airmen.dk/v999.htm
Tributes to Helpers of Escapees
- A Tribute to a Belgian War Heroine, Marthe E. Janssen-Leyder: http://noviomagus.tripod.com/tribute.htm
- Évasions par Mer de Carantec (Escapes by Sea Carantec): http://evasions.par.mer.carantec.filiere.sibiril.over-blog.com/. See also the website of the Musée Maritime of Carantec, France which focuses on the evasion work of Ernest Sibiril: http://www.ville-carantec.com/carantec/principal/station-touristique/animations-loisirs/loisirs-culturels/musee-maritime.
- Jack Edward Gibbs Memorial Tribute: http://www.teunispats.nl/jack-edward-gibbs.htm
- Jean-Marc Tanguy on Georges Morin: http://lemamouth.blogspot.com/2012/02/invalides-2-en-memoire-de-georges-morin.html. (Georges Morin, while working at the Invalides, a hospital in Paris during WWII, is credited with hiding 130 Allied airmen.)
U.S. Air Force
- U.S Air Force Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape (SERE): http://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/survival-evasion-resistance-and-escape-sere/
- “Winged Boot: Escape and Evasion in World War II,” National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, Wright Patterson AFB, near Dayton, Ohio: http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/196141/winged-boot-escape-and-evasion-in-world-war-ii.aspx
- Escape Line Blogspot: https://theescapeline.blogspot.com/
- Evasion Networks During the Second World War – by Noemí Riudor Garcia: http://evasionnetworks.blogspot.com/
- Memoire & Database: https://www.database-memoire.eu/prive/en-us/
- New book: Froom, Phil, Evasion and Escape Devices Produced by MI9, MIS-X, and SOE in World War II, Atglen, PA: Schiffer Publishing, expected date of publication June 2015. For the publisher’s page about the book, click here.