After addressing a Dutch lady as “Mr.___,” and having it gently brought to my attention that her first name was that of a woman, it occurred to me that it would be useful to have some websites ready at hand to help avoid that error. But first, note that Friesland, a province in The Netherlands, has its own distinct language in addition to Dutch. The following are a few of the websites available on the Internet about Dutch/Frisian names.
- Babynology: http://www.babynology.com/dutch_babynames.html
- Behind the Name, the Etymology and History of First Names: http://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/dutch
- Dutch Names: https://www.babble.com/baby-names/dutch-names/
- Behind the Names: Frisian Names: https://www.behindthename.com/names/usage/frisian
- Dutch/Frisian Names with English Translations: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.van-20-vliet/14/mb.ashx
- Dutch Names – given names, surnames, history, tussenvoegsels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_name
- Dutch Names and Nicknames and Their English Equivalent: http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/names.shtml