Before being sent to concentration camps or POW camps (in the case of Allied airmen), political prisoners and airmen often spent long periods of time in prison. The following books, documentaries, and Internet links provide some understanding of the horrendous conditions faced by the prisoners even before they arrived in the better-known concentration camps.
- Pateman, Colin, Beheaded by Hitler, Cruelty of the Nazis, Civilian Executions and Judicial Terror 1933-1945, UK: Fonthill Media, 2014.
Camp Vught, Vught, The Netherlands
- Camp Vught National Memorial: http://www.nmkampvught.nl/index.php?id=219
- Van den Eijnde, Jeroen, Vught in de Tweede Wereldoorlog, Vught: Boekhandel Brabant, 1994. Most of the book is about the city of Vught but some is about the concentration camp/prison.
Fresnes Prison, near Paris
- Burgess, Colin, Destination: Buchenwald, Kenthurst NSW, Australia: Kangaroo Press, 1995
- Burney, Christopher, Solitary Confinement, London: Macmillan & Co., Ltd., 1961.
- Churchill, Peter, The Spirit in the Cage, London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1954.
- Humbert, Agnes, Résistance, Memoirs of Occupied France, London: Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2008. (Chapter 5 is about her experiences in Fresnes.)
- Marshall, Bruce, The White Rabbit, The Story of Secret Agent Yeo-Thomas, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co., 1953.
- Zembsch-Schreve, Guido, Pierre Lalande: Special Agent, London: Leo Cooper, 1996.
St Gilles Prison, Brussels
- Last Best Hope, A True Story of Escape, Evasion, and Remembrance (PBS television documentary):http://www.pbs.org/lastbesthope/andhttp://www.alpheusmedia.com/lastbesthope
WaldheimPrison, Waldheim, Germany
- Roosenburg, Henriette, The Walls Came Tumbling Down, Pleasantville, N.Y.: The Akadine Press, 2000.