This part of the website contains information on the following:
- Tom Applewhite’s plane, “The Wild Hare”
- The crew of “The Wild Hare”
- The circumstances under which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
- The Mission Report for the last mission of “The Wild Hare”
- Tom Applewhite’s account of their being shot down.
Tom served in the 385th Bombardment Group. A memorial to it appears in the Memorial Garden directly behind the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, Georgia near Savannah.
Was Tom Appleqbite from North Carolina?w
No. He was from Memphis, Tennessee.