This part of the website contains information on the following:
- Tom Applewhite’s plane, “The Wild Hare”
- The crew of “The Wild Hare”
- The circumstances under which he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.
- The Mission Report for the last mission of “The Wild Hare”
- Tom Applewhite’s account of their being shot down.
Tom served in the 385th Bombardment Group. A memorial to it appears in the Memorial Garden directly behind the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, Georgia near Savannah.